Welcome to the library guide for ANTH 103 Introduction to Archaeology. This guide will link you to resources useful in completing the research assignment for this course. If you need any assistance, please contact Cathy Moore-Jansen, Anthropology Librarian. (see contact information on left)
1. To locate an article in a scholarly journal, do a keyword or subject heading search in one of the databases listed on this web site. Remember to limit by "scholarly journals". Examples of keyword search statements:
(lithic or stone) and implement*
(lithic or stone) and (implement* or tool*)
(arrow or projectile) and point*
(ceramic* or pottery) and analysis and archaeolog*
(ceramic* or pottery) and (archaeolog* or antiquities)
(ceramic* or pottery) and aztec
faunal analysis and archaeolog*
(faunal or animal or zooarchaeolog*) and analysis
human remains or archaeolog*
bioarchaeology or osteoarchaeology or human remains archaeology
(radiocarbon or c14 or carbon 140 and dating
2. To locate an article in an anthropology encyclopedia, select one of the encyclopedias listed under the Reference Sources tab to the left.
3. To locate a book, do a search in the WSU Libraries Online Catalog.
4. Consider terms related to "archaeology" that could be used in a search on your topic, e.g. antiquities, ancient, excavations, prehistory.
5. Consider truncating terms in your search statement with an asterisk to find alternative endings/spellings. For example, "archaeolog*" will find "archaeology" and "archaeological".
If you have any questions, please contact Cathy Moore-Jansen, Anthropology Librarian. (See left hand column of this page.) If I am not available, you may contact another librarian using any of the methods listed below: